We pride ourselves on our ability to think differently. For more than 130 years, we have earned a reputation for delivering reliable and high quality performance materials while also expanding the idea of what is possible.
Leveraging our functional materials and technical expertise, we have addressed our customers' needs to deliver performance in their application areas time and time again. These innovations are delivering value for our customers today. With a strong and robust technical foundation built over decades, we are adept at expanding our product capabilities in new ways for applications such as:
Solutions for Tomorrow's Challenges
New Application Innovation Lab
We recently opened a new Asia Technology Center in Shanghai, China to accelerate innovation and applications development, ensuring continued delivery of world-class materials to our customers.
The new lab is co-located at our regional headquarters in Shanghai and features state-of-the-art analytical and application testing equipment. The facility is staffed by more than 30 highly skilled researchers and scientists working together with extended research teams throughout our extensive global network. In addition, the new lab environment promotes best practices and idea sharing across businesses and fosters open innovation to increase collaboration with customers. To further enhance the customer experience and showcase our capabilities and innovation, the lab is also designed with a product showroom. With this lab, we can better meet the unique requirements of our China- and Asia-based customers across a range of critical applications.
Cost effective water delivery
A recent study determined that Brazil’s water pipelines and tanks lose more than 600 billion liters of water annually — or more than 40% of all treated water in the country.
The study determined that the water was being lost as it was pumped from processing plants to consumers’ tanks, due to pipe and tank degradation over time. Our South American customer Braskem worked very closely with us to create a solution to address this issue. We combined Braskem High Density Polyethylene resin with PLASBLAK® LL6050 masterbatch to help create new, high-performing polyethylene (PE) pressure pipes. The new PE pipes significantly reduce leaks because there are fewer joints and connections. They also last up to 50 years or longer — in part because PLASBLAK LL6050 masterbatch contains one of our high performing p-type carbon blacks, which provides exceptional ultraviolet protection and low moisture absorption for the polymer to prevent premature degradation.
In addition, p-type carbon blacks are both physically clean (low grit) and chemically clean (low sulfur), ensuring the final pipe is smooth and does not affect the taste of the water. The result is that our PLASBLAK LL6050 masterbatch enables Braskem to deliver a high-quality pressure pipe compound — which means long-lasting pipes, less losses and cleaner water for the Brazilian population.
Faster innovation through lean prototyping
We had a great idea for improving evaporative loss control from automobiles using a new type of chemically activated carbon.
The question became, how can we make sure this idea will actually work for our customers before we invest a lot of capital and human resources? In this case, we used a process called lean prototyping that allowed us to accelerate through the building, measuring and learning stages of innovation quickly and cost-efficiently. To evaluate this new idea, we brought together a cross-functional team of people at our activated carbon manufacturing facility in Glasgow, Scotland. The team’s goal was to deliver a process technology and a customer sample from a prototype system in a short period of time.
Working together, the team created a workable prototype system within one week. They then spent the next month testing different assumptions and applying their learnings to new iterations. By the end of the month, they had learned a great deal about their project, produced a viable prototype product, and identified clear next steps for future development. The experience also educated the Glasgow manufacturing team about the technology so that they can help ensure that the commercial design will be effective.
Exploring New Applications
- Conductive additives to optimize capacity and performance of lithium ion batteries
- Rheology control for lead acid gel batteries
- Activated carbon for supercapacitors
- Activated carbon for adsorption of natural gas for energy delivery
- Conductive additives to increase performance and cycle-ability of lead acid batteries
- Ultra-thin and highly-efficient insulation for green building designs and retrofits
- Super-efficient power transmission
- Engineered adhesive solutions for composites in renewable energy
- Silica for high-strength cement
- Additives for water delivery for smart pipes
- Functional additives in silicones for mechanical, thermal and barrier properties
- Functional inks for high-speed commercial digital presses
- Digital metallic decorative inks
- Specialty toner additives for flow control, charge control, humidity resistance and more
- Advanced colorants for inkjet and toner application
- High optical density with electrical function control for black matrix
- Specialty silicas for polishing in chemical mechanical planarization for chip production
- Specialty graphenes for thermal interface materials
- Activated carbons to purify air and water
- Particles to deliver poorly soluble actives for agriculture and pharmaceuticals
- Engineered carbons to remove targeted toxins from air and water